Creating an impact
and a lasting impression!
Why is it that some people have that “X” factor while others less so…And what is the “X” factor, similarly can it be learned?
If we consider that first impressions are vital in business, and that its people that make a business it’s then obvious that a positive experience can create long-lasting business relationships…This applies to meeting customers, pitching to potential clients, or during interviews. Outside of business, it has a similar effect.
The fundamentals too much of our work at Solution Focused is based around mindset and belief, then linked to a range of disciplines. Creating an impact is no different. It starts with YOU and developing your inner beliefs and confidence.
Do the following and you are well on the way to creating an impact!
- A firm handshake is a great start and if possible saying something positive at the same time.
- Stand up straight and tall, but not rigidly and with an open posture
- Using peoples name is a great way of making an impression, but don’t overdo it.
- Don’t rush your conversation. The use of a pause is very powerful
- Smile and make eye contact…But not too much!
- Remember your body language…It says more than words!
- Take an interest in people. Taking an interest in them is far better than telling them about you. Always remember…Two ears and one mouth!
- Be proud of yourself and ensure that this is reflected in your personal appearance!
People make instant judgements. We live our lives on our perceptions of reality and this may be different to the truth. When we first meet a person, we make a judgment in between four and seven seconds! WOW!! Beyond that our judgment is more or less finalized within 30 seconds of the initial contact.
Consider all of the times when that first impact is crucial…At any time with your boss? Giving a presentation? Or as a Leader with your team. While the answer is all of those and more, the actual truth is that making an impact should apply all of the time and in all situations.
Always remember that impressions count at all times!
“What you do has far greater impact than what you say.”