Step outside and challenge yourself! Listen here
Comfort zones…It’s a well-used expression…but what is the dictionary definition?
I found two descriptions…
“A situation where one feels safe or at ease”
“A settled method of working that requires little effort and yields only barely acceptable results”
The first definition was expected but while the second one was understood, it made me think more. A look at Wikipedia revealed the following…
A comfort zone is a psychological state in which things feel familiar to a person and they are at ease and in control of their environment, experiencing low levels of anxiety and stress. In this zone, a steady level of performance is possible.
It’s a generally accepted fact that only 20% of people in life fulfil their potential. What a shame…We are all capable of so much, we have untapped talents, yet seldom do we challenge ourselves to find out our true potential. Consider and reflect on the following:
- Some of our greatest achievements occur when we step outside of our comfort zones. We find that the doing was perhaps not as inhibiting as we believed…And yet the feelings of elation were so much greater.
- Fear of failure is one of our biggest limiters. Strangely much of the fear is never realised and we then discover is a wasted emotion. What is the worst that could happen…You don’t quite make it? You dust yourself down and try again. With new and improved learnings.
- There are 7 billion people on this earth. There will be no situation that those around you won’t have experienced and will be there to help and support you. Also, a source of information.
- Start with something small. Something that you have always intended trying. Once you have mastered a number of smaller yet new and valuable experiences, you will already be gently pushing the boundaries of your comfort zones.
- When you are faced with stepping outside of your comfort zone, the only things that you picture are all the things that might go wrong (hindering self-talk). Step back and visualize how you will feel when you achieve your new challenge…Happiness…Elation…Comfort zone boundaries extended still further! (helpful self-talk). Capture the feelings and re play in your mind!
What a shame if we live our lives full of regret. That we had potential that we never challenged ourselves to achieve. We have some 28,000 days on this earth. Once each day has gone, its spent. No overdraft to use, the day spent, and we can’t re use.
Be bold…Be brave…Challenge yourself…Try something new each day and celebrate your many successes. Slowly but surely you will be extending your comfort zones!
“You never change your life until you step out of your comfort zone;
change begins at the end of your comfort zone.”
Roy T. Bennett